Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


15 December 2008

Seeing Family at christmas...

I went to Middlesbrough today, was an early start at 9:ooam! Much too early for me but I was looking forward to seeing my nana! It was a 2 hr journey there and back so I listened to xmas song off a cd that my Dad was playing in the car! It was very hard to hear sometimes because whenever we are on the motorway - It can be very noisy on my cochlear implant! The roar of the road so I always sit on the left side of the car because then the radio is directly behind to my cochlear implant so I can attempt to hear music during this loud roaring noise! Sometimes it depends on the song being loud. quiet,uptempo, slow tempo etc...
I can just about hear the music over the roaring noise which is good so I hear most of the christmas songs the CD plays! It's taken me some practice!


Photobucket
saw my cousins too...

me and cuz gemma

Photobucket

a brand spanking new outfit...

Photobucket

And lots of food and games!

lots of food!


Photobucket

Playing a DVD horse racing game! * its fake money of course!*

Photobucket

We exchanged our presents and saw lots of houses with lots of christmas lights! It was like going through a winter wonderland! If you want to see any more christmas pics click on any of the pictures to go to my albums!

Not long to Christmas now! It's going to be aceeeee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool that you could hear most of the Christmas songs! I still have problems listening to the radio/CD/tape because of all the background noise of the car & road. I do better listening with direct connect cable or headphones. Hopefully it will improve for both of us. ;)

I love your Christmas picture! Adorable tree in the background. So glad you got to enjoy time with your family today.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!