Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


9 December 2008

A bit of fun...

Still down and out at my latop so....
Now for some more fun:
David has tagged me to write part of a story. Rather then me explain, I have copied on text, and will tag the following to write this creative masterpiece along with the rest of us that have done.
Here is what she wrote and the rules, and the story. I hope you enjoy!I, Splotchy has started a new strain of story virus and indeed it is going viral! Here are the rules to play this creative game:Here's what I would like to do. I want to create a story that branches out in a variety of different, unexpected ways. I don't know how realistic it is, but that's what I'm aiming for. Hopefully, at least one thread of the story can make a decent number of hops before it dies out.If you are one of the carriers of this story virus (i.e. you have been tagged and choose to contribute to it), you will have one responsibility, in addition to contributing your own piece of the story: you will have to tag at least one person that continues your story thread.
So, say you tag five people. If four people decide to not participate, it's okay, as long as the fifth one does. And if all five participate, well that's five interesting threads the story spins off into.Not a requirement, but something your readers would appreciate: to help people trace your own particular thread of the narrative, it will be helpful if you include links to the chapters preceding yours.
Alright, simple enough. Now for the start of the story:
The bus was more crowded than usual. It was bitterly cold outside, and I hadn't prepared for it. I noticed that a fair number of the riders were dressed curiously. As I glanced around, I stretched my feet and kicked up against a large, heavy cardboard box laying under the seat in front of me. (Splotchy)
The man who apparently owned the box glared at me and I moved my feet closer toward my seat and sat up straighter. Outside the wind was blowing hard and I watched out the window as the tree limbs swayed along the street and people clutched their scarves more closely about their heads as they made their way into the wind. We passed a building that had a flag pole and the flag it flew stood straight out and flapped angrily it seemed to me. I bemoaned my fate of having forgotten my hat, gloves and scarf on such a miserable day but I had been running late and had to get to the bus stop if I wanted to get to work on time.
After a few moments of surveying the frigid scene outside my window I returned my attention to my fellow passengers on the bus and noted with some alarm that one woman was so bundled up in her hat, coat, and heavy wool scarf that it was hard to even see her face. Another man sitting next to the gentleman with the cardboard box wore a jumpsuit which I found very peculiar indeed. He was sitting quietly with his eyes closed and seemed to be sleeping. My gaze upon him though brought his eyes open with a snap and he stared straight into my eyes with a most hypnotic gaze. His eyes were a bright light green. I had never seen such beautiful green eyes and could not look away. It reminded me of that famous photo taken of the Afghan girl, the eyes were so striking and fierce even. I tried to look away but it was impossible. (Liberality)
The intenseness of those eyes, sent a "warm" chill through my body, so very hard to fathom the clash to my senses. Stop after stop, the stoic passengers would disembark to face the fierce weather, knowing I would be facing the same horrid elements within a matter of minutes. The green-eyed gentleman was rising from his seat to head out into the storm, when he tripped over the cardboard box, which had slid into the aisle, bringing a horrible scream from the owner. As it pushed up against the seat just behind the driver, the lid came open and there were screams from everyone surrounding this wicked sight. (themom)
My first instict was to join the maddening crowd in blood curdling screams, but I refrained. It was of course a sight to bring about screams for many, and curiosity for those like me. I have seen these spiders before, in books really, and actually knew of their variety from my college biology days. As the mans box broke, thousands, if not more, spiders scrambled out of their captivity. It was a curious site indeed, as these spiders were not your garden variety, but huge mothers of nature. Not poisonous as the crowd of those that lifted feet and jumped on the bus seats would have their biological instincts instruct, but big buggers! Biggest you would ever see in most parts of the world. The owner of the box of course was upset, and this intrigued me. What was he doing with these arachnid's? Especially this species that I immediately noted was not technically an arachnid or spider due to the fact that they have a small antenae that is prominent. I off course noted this right away. This rare species is found in remote locations in hot countries close to salt water. I tried to connect his amazingly green eyes to the indiginous zone of these creatures, but could not. This I knew: Here, near the great lakes, they would be impossible to find. On this bus, on this route, at this time, there were hundreds of thousands loose! (DAVID)
As the spiders scuttled about, alomost escaping off the bus as the owner struggled to scoop them all back in to the box. People on the bus trying not to touch the sides of the bus thinking they are crawling the walls....
Kids were running around after the spiders while parents were grabbing their kids back screaming at them not to touch them. Someone opened the door! The spiders sense the coldness from the outisde of the bus and all scuttle out as the owner of the cardboard box screams "SHUT THE DOOR THESE SPIDERS ARE GENETICALLY MADE!" People started murmuring and one girl in the corner of the bus said "Are you serious?? are they dangerous??" "No No" he stuttered, "they are bred for testing" "testing of what" screamed the girl! "they have been bred for their vibration skills, their tiny little hairs on their legs!" the man says dramaticly! the girl says curiously "vibrations... wow!" (Laura J)

2 comments:

David said...

Cool stuff! I like it a lot. Thanks for doing this, I hope you had fun.

David

Splotchy said...

Very nice!

Thanks a lot for playing.