Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


29 December 2008

The Evaluation of 2008...

Since the New Year is upon us, I decided to do an evaluation of this year and all the great & not so great stuff that’s happened

The Great stuff:



  • Starting the blog

  • Seeing the blog getting more followers ( I thank you very much for reading!)

  • Meeting other CI users and talking via MSN about each other's experiences

  • Maintaining my weight of 8 stone

  • The sunshine we had this summer

  • Going to my 1st wedding out of my group of friends in July

  • Seeing my old teacher of the deaf from my junior school again at my friend’s wedding.We had a good catch up! This led to volunteering at my old junior school,

  • Going to cinema with mates for my 23rd birthday to see Mamma Mia! It was sooooooooooo good!

  • Setting up the YCIS facebook group and getting in touch with other Cochlear implant

  • Gaining more social confidence

  • Flirting with the guys now and again!

  • Going to Middlesbrough to see the family for Christmas!

  • The annual Mates group get together on Chrsitmas eve!

  • Spending time with the family on christmas Day



The Not So Great stuff:



  • Having 2 infections in my PEG ow! Also being in pain too much that I cant bear to move!

  • Dissapointment from dietician about news about the amount of time I still have to have my PEG in

  • My OCD/handwashing

  • Not seeing my friends as much as I’d like to

  • Getting upset too easily because of things said regarding my eyes or anything bad medically

  • Getting fustrated about things that I cant change

I decided not to make any resolutions this year as theynever happen or gets done so at least I’ll avoid major disapointment when they don’t happen. I’ve made the same ones the last few years and it really sucks when they don’t happen! It wont stop me hoping it will happen though…


I hope everyone else has a HAPPY NEW YEAR & it brings you everything you could hope for!

4 comments:

Julie Kibler said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Laura. I hope it's a great one for you. It sounds like the good stuff won over the bad stuff this year to me--maybe this year will be even better! Hey, you forgot to mention volunteering at your school. That seems like it's been great for you and for the kiddos, too!

Lissa said...

Happy New Year laura, i wish you many happiness for the future and your confidence improves loads in the NY


Best wishes

xxx

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

i have mentioned the volunteering silly! its under my friends wedding! :) x

Julie Kibler said...

Oops, so you did! I must have skimmed over the last sentence of that one!