Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


4 August 2008

Out of control!

I have decided to give cognitive therapy again as my OCD has slowly been getting out of control! It is really beginning to frustrate me and my family because I don’t need to be doing these silly little rituals but I cant help it. Something clicks in my mind and I find my self washing my hands yet again; This time I have opted to go with someone else after the last time I tried cognitive therapy and hopefully this time I will sort it out once and for all! It may never totally go away but at least I can keep control of it and beat OCD. It’s just becoming very time consuming and making me miserable because I want to stop what i'm doing. It is also now getting in the way and stopping me from doing the things I enjoy. I used to be able to touch the things I hate now and it is getting in the way of when I want to go out somewhere with friends or family, but I worry about the things I don’t like and would avoid them. I don’t know how it started or how it got so bad but I want to get back to normal and enjoy my life without worrying about pointless little things.

I just get so angry with myself over the little things such as doing my hair when I can’t get it right and it frustrates me to the point I end up in tears. My family can get angry at me about it too but I know this is because it’s getting on their nerves as well. That upsets me because I don’t want to get on their nerves, I want to be able to have fun and relax like I used to.

Fingers crossed that my cognitive therapy works!!!

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

I hope it works for you, too! It's very brave to confront your fears like that!

This is a great blog, and I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!