Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


8 August 2008

A little sentence....

1. My uncle once: was an extra in "only fools and horses"
2. Never in my life:have I had a relationship yet
3. When I was five: if i had an idea that i would go deaf, id warn my parents!
4. High school was: great. I loved it, and my friends there. I also spent a lot of time at the Deaf base there.
5. I will never forget: a family friend that died from cancer.
6. Once I met: Duncan Goodhew when i was five and he taught me how to swim.
7. There’s this boy I know: He's the greatest friend ever and hope it will last a lifetime.
8. Once, at a bar: that belonged to some family friends, and i had a bath in a whirlpool!
9. By noon, I'm mostly asleep in bed.
10. Last night: I stayed up til 4am and spent it on facebook.
11. If only I had: had the courage to be more spontaneous
12. Next time I go to church: it will be for another friend’s wedding. I see no other reason to enter one.
13. What worries me most: is if i ever had to be completely deaf for the rest of my life.
14. When I turn my head left I see: out a window with trees in the background.
15. When I turn my head right I see: my family watching TV
16. You know I’m lying when: i start stuttering and giggling too much.
17. What I miss most about the Eighties is: a world where children could go out and play in the streets without the worry of ASBOs, violence and guns.
18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be:Juliet from Romeo and Juliet because i'd be in love and have our little world because you love each other and dont worry about the love/hate situation between the families.
19. By this time next year: I hope to have the possibility of getting my PEG removed.
A better name for me would be: Trouble
21. I have a hard time understanding: why people are malicious and vindictive for no reason, bar their own envy. It’s petty
.22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: make sure that there would be no bullying because bullies are cowards and needed to be stopped in their tracks.
23. You know I like you if: I talk to you a lot, and ask lots of questions and also be a bit giggly.
24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be: my parents. I’m grateful every day to have the luck and honour of being their daughter and they looked after me so well when i went into hospital many a time.
25. Take my advice, never: take your hearing for granted.
26. My ideal breakfast is: 2 slices of toast, orange juice in a nice warm climate abroad.
27. A song I love but do not have is: "All Time Love" by Will Young.
28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you: bring something to keep yourself entertained if you dont like drinking too much!
29. Why won’t people: just get along!
30. If you spend a night at my house: you will end up watching one of my DVDs or going on the internet
31. I’d stop my wedding for: a family crisis.
32. The world could do without: greed.
33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: talk or think about politics.
34. My favourite blonde(s) is/are: very bubbly!
35. Paper clips are more useful than: nothing since i left college! .
36. If I do anything well it’s: worth doing well!
37. I can’t help but: worry about silly things.
38. I usually cry: for about four days each month when I’m due for my period.
39. My advice to my child/nephew/niece: Be yourself, not what people want you to be.
40. And by the way: its my birthdayy on Thursday... woop!

No comments: