Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


2 August 2008

Christmas 2007

By Christmas 2007, I was 7 stone and getting used to my new body. I had always been slim and never weighed as much as 7 stone in my life. It was a sign that the PEG was working. I was enjoying buying a whole new wardrobe of clothes to suit my new body. I had gone from a size 8 to a size 12.

My mum had wrote a letter to the local paper who were doing a Christmas wish article. The Christmas wish was about people who had a bad year in 2007. She had nominated me to get a new laptop because I already had an older laptop but it was slowing down. She knew I was always on my laptop talking to friends. On a Thursday 2 weeks before Christmas Day, the newspaper rang up and told us they were awarding me my Christmas wish! I was shocked but happy! I never thought one of them would be me because I thought there would be people worse off than me. I had my photo taken for the newspaper and in the next few days I was on a full page spread on page 5! I didn’t think the picture would be that big! All my family and friends thought the picture and the article was really good!

For Christmas Eve, I was going to a meal with friends so I went out with my mum to find a nice outfit. I didn’t think that I would find a dress because I had not worn one for a while because I was always very slim. I didn't realise how much weight I had put on till I started trying clothes on!

I finally found a great dress that suited me and was ideal for the Christmas Eve meal. My friends said I looked so much better with a bit of weight on. I was actually very happy with how my body is and got more confident. I actually had a bust now and felt more girly!



No comments: