Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


24 August 2008

Feeling left out and more Wii...

Me & friends at the housewarming...(im the one in cream)
I went to a housewarming tonight and I played the Wii once again! It’s really good fun and good exercise too! It gets you up to play games such as table tennis or bowling, as it requires you to be standing to be able to get the points! Even if I went to the gym which I don’t, I would give it up because the wii gives me all the exercise I need!!!! I’ve asked my parents if they could maybe get me one for Christmas and that maybe I would put some money towards too, I think it’s worth the money! After tonight, I was well and truly knackered after playing it and I might well get some early nights since I’ve been staying up late a lot these days. I hope I’ll be able to get one for myself and keep myself occupied during the day as well as get some exercise too! I get very bored when everyone in the family is out at work during the week and i resort to sleeping in most of the day to sleep through the boring times! With winter coming, I won’t even have to go out for a walk in the FREEZING cold when I feel I’m getting a bit weak. I bet my family would have fun playing it too ha-ha!

Although I had a good time at the the housewarming and was great to see friends, I couldn't help but still feel a bit left out as everyone talked over their drinks and the music drowning out everyone's conversation. I have always emphasized to my friends that i can feel a bit left out in group situations due to my deafness but it gets overlooked. I know they don't mean to make me feel left out but it always seems to happen. There's always a moment when a mate that asks if i'm alright and I always end up nodding yes to not ruin everyone's night by my moaning! I'm not critising my friends as most of the time, they are a fantastic bunch but I just wish they would be more aware about my deafness amongst the loud music or group talking etc..

My house is very quiet without my brother as he is at the Leeds Festival and as much as he annoys me most of the time, I miss him! He always makes me laugh when I’m down, anyway he will be back soon with tales of his adventures!

No comments: