Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


27 January 2009

Oops...I'm in trouble...

I got in trouble with my parents last night regarding my late nights on the computer! Not just because I stayed up but because I locked the door of my room and i took my cochlear implant off and I couldnt hear anything while I was typing away at my computer! My mum went a lil mad because she doesn't like me locking the door at night in case there ever was a fire and she couldn't alert me because I couldn't hear! Not that i'd keep the door locked all night but I wanted some peace and quiet on the computer! Looks like i got the total opposite with my mum and brother knocking on the door at 3am...
When that didn't alert me, they resorted to using a flash light throught the cracks of my door and putting notes under the door which i finally got the message, literally, to go to bed and turn off the computer! Needsless to say, I stayed locked in the room til my parents went to bed again with me passing through a note under the door saying i'll go to bed but ooops! But i see their point of view with the locked door at night! so i wont be doing THAT again! My mum also reminded me that if im going to lock the door at night, at least keep my cochlear implant on in case she needs to alert me....

4 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

excellent point your mum has there... I go ballistic with locked doors around here.

Vivie said...

oops! your mum has a valid point..I've locked my parents too off my apartment..LOL! so I can feel u..

why don't u get some deaf alerting stuff? mighta useful ,I'm gonna get some soon..

Marie Foulk said...

You could get that baby alarm, you can buy from mothercare that you could put next to PC and it flash when someone knock the door..
You should be able get one free if You are register with social Service.

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

i would but they are a bit pricey lol