Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


13 January 2009

Funny looks of phones and headphones...


I have my own silly way of using the phone as maybe some other CI user's do too!

I can attract some funny looks from people when I'm calling up my mum if I'm in town or somewhere like that, as when I use the phone, I put it to the microphone on the cochlear implant which is at the top of the ear instead of the actual ear! So people look and they must think "why isn't she holding the phone to her ear?" haha

I do it at the top of the ear where the microphone is because that's where I get the best possible sound from the phone espeically if I'm in a busy place!


It's the same with headphones which isn't always good as when I used to wear small ones for the hour long bus journey to Bradford or long car journeys to Newcastle, when you put them on the front top of the ear, they tend to flop off over the front of my head because headphones are designed to go on the actual ears.I tried a few ways to keep them on like using headbands but my head is so damn small! haha I never really agreed with the music leads that go from an ipod directly to the CI because if someone wanted to tell me something, I wouldn't be able to hear them because while the music lead is on the CI and connected to the Ipod, the music on the ipod is all you can hear rather the surrounding sounds around you, which I was not a fan of! Which is why I like to listen to music from the laptop or the music channels! I like to play music when I'm doing something such as making things and I sing along which is probbably not the most attractive thing about me!!!! haha

2 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

ok i am thinking we need pictures here laura... it is fun to keep people guessing i think LOL
hugs to you!

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

How about posting a video clip with the headphones on AND you singing along! I'm sure a lot of people would LOVE to hear that!

Jennifer :-)