Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


22 January 2009

Little Whispers...

I lent my mum my mobile to borrow because I had free minutes and she wanted to call a friend! I carried on with my laptop browsing the net/ chatting and I could hear some whispering. I looked around to see what it was and it was coming from the mobile that my mum was on! haha the volume was on high so I could hear the person talking out of the phone even though I didnt have it near my ear or even holding the phone. It wasn't even on speakerphone where you press a button on your mobile so everyone can hear it! I was about a few feet away! hehe it always makes me smile when I hear whispers like that! :)

4 comments:

Lissa said...

Thats great!!! I can hear the whispers if mum is on the phone but not clear enough to understand what the other person is saying, its just noise

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

haha i cant tell what they say either unless its on speakerphone ut if its far away and not on speaker phone it sounds like whipsers!

Vivie said...

lol hahah!!!

I can hear my friends..and usually I can guess if the voice was male or female..discontenting them..lol!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's definitely an incredible moment! Even as someone who has had a CI for 19 years, I always continue to have more hearing moments as days go by, and I think it's because I always think that I should take for granted that I can hear, something that people who hear normally don't think about. I remember a few years ago, I would tell my mother when she was on her cell phone from time to time, "Wow! I can hear the other line! That's cool!" I'm sure that we'll all, CI users, will continue to discover new things as days go by.