Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


9 January 2009

Bad Hands...

The cold weather and combination of washing my hands a lot is taking its toll. Since I began having OCD in 2004, it has progressively got worse. My hands have got very rough despite trying various hand creams. They, at times go very red and blistered especially in winter when the cold gets to them! They can be painful too at times. Even though they are red, I just can’t help the washing of my hands at many times of the day…

This fustrates me because it’s so hard to stop but I cant stop long enough for my hands to get better! My hands are fantastic is the summer when it’s warm and the sunshine gets on them and they go a bit more softer than they are in winter! Sometimes, to my parents, they say it looks like I have red gloves on sometime makes me feel bad about them!

Here are what my hands are like at the moment: you can see how dry they are. They feel so old and crinkly like when you’ve been in a bath too long!! Which dissapoints me because I love them when they are all soft and pinky normal skin colour! I am trying a sterile cream at the moment now so see if that helps them!

Bad Bad hands!!! :(

1 comment:

Marie Foulk said...

Go to lovely Lush.. buy handcream there.. brilliant for my hands.. I use dream cream all over before bed.. and handcream during the day..