Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


10 May 2009

I wish...

  • I wish my weight would stay stable at 8 stone 3 as I've dropped down to 7 st...
  • I wish the last few years hosptial wise never happened...
  • I wish I didn't have to make the decision whether I should have this eyelid lift procedure...
  • I wish that in the future there will be a moment where I'll actually think I am going to get my PEG removed...
  • I wish that I could eat a whole variety of foods and wasn't fussy as hell, life and teatime would be so much easier...
  • I wish my brother would talk to me more...
  • I wish I was a kid again, because I coped so much better with hosptial stuff
These are the things that have been going through my mind the last few days, of course it may be hormone charged of that time of month but they are very real things that I wish were better and those things get to me and make me upset. Any other time, I would be totally positive and these rare times that I get down, those 7 things seem heavily on my mind.
Im grateful for the friends such as the C.I friends that I have met in the last year or so thanks to this blog, etc Vivie and Kara, they understand me and hosptial stuff and don't half make me laugh when I'm down! :) and meeting my lovley boyfriend who makes me feel so very happy!
Although lately, I've noticed that nothing of my upsets have absolutly nothing to do with my cochlear implant because thats still fantastic and it's so much a part of me, that I dont't notice it anymore what with all the more serious hospital stuff. It may have been the very first thing I had operated on me but I love it! I don't know what I would be like if I could'nt hear music or voices. It makes such a transformation to people's lives.
Anyway, I'm feeling much happier today and I'm goinna do me some cross stitching! :) After all, I'm only human to get upset now and again. x

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Sorry that you're feeling a bit down

(hugs)