Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


27 May 2009

How my 15 year CI review went...

We set off early because my parents wanted to go to a shop but the SAT NAV was causing havoc and we couldn't find it so we set off to the Yorkshire cochlear implant centre. I got to see Jane Martin and Lyn Jamieson who I have pretty much known the whole 15 years of having the cochlear implants and had a good catch up with them for a few minutes! hehe
I then went into the brand new audio room with Salim my audiologist to begin my review. He checked my ears and then the cochlear implant electrodes inside my head which were both fine.
It came to discuss me getting the Freedom CI and he told me not yet because they dont have the funding at the moment to give the Freedom to the people who have the 3G and are just giving it to the newly implanted patients at the moment. It costs £3, 000 to upgrade from the 3G to the Freedom and the YCIS dont have that funding yet to do it. Once funding is cleared and sorted, however long that may take! they will give me the Freedom to everyone once but when I DO have the freedom, they cannot give me my 3G esprit CI back if I don't like the Freedom because in the future, they wont be making the 3G anymore hence they won't be making parts etc...
Salim told me that the with the Freedom, the microphone is more senstive so it may pick up more background noise and that its more chunky at the bottom which I was a bit unsure about but when it comes to it, I'll have to keep the freedom and get used to it basically! But for now it's sticking with the 3G til the funding is cleared!
I now do not have to go back to the YCIS for 5 years now for my 20 year review unless I have any problems with my cochlear implant and they call me in for something.
Today was also the last time I would see Salim because he has been headhunted by a cochlear implant company so next time I will have a new audiologist which will be very strange because yet again Salim has been there from the beginning too.
As a good result of my 15 yr review, I decided to put some purple in my hair... but it did not work!! booo! I'll have to try another hair dye kit! hehe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again a good post. Thank your achates