Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


17 May 2009

My 15 year cochlear implant review...

On the 27th of May, I have my 15 year review at the new cochlear implant centre! I don't know whether they are going to offer me the new Freedom behind the ear CI. Although if they do, I am able to keep my old mapping because I just hate the slightest change in my mapping. Im sure i'll put up a mini fight if they want to put a new mapping in and stick with the 3G but maybe since I've had the 3g esprit for a good couple of years now and i'm quite used to it. Im not sure if i can make the change to a different BTE but if they offer me it, I'm going to try it out at least see if it makes a difference. I never do like the change of a mapping when its just been changed! I think it sounds all funny but I always give it some time to get used to it and maybe put the old mapping on another setting on the CI if possible if I can't get used to it!
The only thing they said to me last time I was at the centre was that because I have an old version insdie my head that some of the features on the Freedom may not work with it. Thats the least of my worries anyway! I just want it to sound ok! hehe
but 15 years, its gone by so fast, its come to the point I hardly notice it on my ear anymore! I sometimes have to double check I've still not got it on when I'm in the bath! hehe
The review should be intresting! :D I'll let ya know how it goes!
Post a Comment