Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


17 May 2009

My 15 year cochlear implant review...

On the 27th of May, I have my 15 year review at the new cochlear implant centre! I don't know whether they are going to offer me the new Freedom behind the ear CI. Although if they do, I am able to keep my old mapping because I just hate the slightest change in my mapping. Im sure i'll put up a mini fight if they want to put a new mapping in and stick with the 3G but maybe since I've had the 3g esprit for a good couple of years now and i'm quite used to it. Im not sure if i can make the change to a different BTE but if they offer me it, I'm going to try it out at least see if it makes a difference. I never do like the change of a mapping when its just been changed! I think it sounds all funny but I always give it some time to get used to it and maybe put the old mapping on another setting on the CI if possible if I can't get used to it!
The only thing they said to me last time I was at the centre was that because I have an old version insdie my head that some of the features on the Freedom may not work with it. Thats the least of my worries anyway! I just want it to sound ok! hehe
but 15 years, its gone by so fast, its come to the point I hardly notice it on my ear anymore! I sometimes have to double check I've still not got it on when I'm in the bath! hehe
The review should be intresting! :D I'll let ya know how it goes!

3 comments:

Lissa said...

your inside ci is compatible with all ci versions. My friend has a really old version as she was one of the first children in the uk to get it in 1992/1993 they gave her the freedom a few years back

unless theres another reason

Marie Foulk said...

Richard, my mate got the freedom, he used wear 3G.. he prefer freedom saying it look really nice and it sound better too..

go for it.. have a try.. if you dont like it after a few weeks you can ask for 3G back!

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Hi Laura!

Will be looking forward to hearing how it goes on the 27th...whether it be the Freedom or sticking with the 3G.

Hugs,
Jennifer