Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


3 June 2009

Reconsidering...

Lately, I have been reconsidering the eyelid lift procedure because 
  • It will give me a better quality of life
  • Maybe my eyesight will be better (less double vision)
  • No more droopy eyelids
  • I won't have people asking why I look tired
  • My eyes have been sore because I'm straining them what with having to keep them open and my eyelid muscles not being strong enough to keep them open. (hence the droopiness)
I have emailed the docs about it after more information about the procedure since last time I was there, I pretty much gave the doc a blunt "no" Since then the top of my eyes are feeling strange and heavy, I would really rather not feel like this any more. Today at volunteering I could hardly focus on the board and the teacher so i barely knew what the lesson was about!  Although i did email the doc, I got an automatic email saying he was on holiday til 15th june. Typical! 

On a more happier note, I have been enjoying the sunshine in the garden soaking up the rays and the park with my boyfriend which was a lovely weekend.  It's been a while since we had some decent warm weather! I tend to make the most of it! I'm also doing my cross stitch which I'm glued to at the moment! It will be good to get it finished!

3 comments:

Marie Foulk said...

hope all this will sorted out for you..
Time will fly... June 15th is not long!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

yes yes yes yes yes yes ...15th is right around the corner

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Hey there, Laura! The 15 is tomorrow!! It's actually today for you guys! Let us know what he says in response to your email.

Hugs,
Jennifer