Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


13 November 2008

Silent talking...

I wonder if anyone esle ever has moments where they think they can hear although they can't? Like when I have the external part of the cochlear implant switched off, the silent world I have lived with since i was 8 years old and am quite used to but sometimes I feel I hear something but it's just the vibration or something like that. It's a very strange feeling for example I can be in a bath in silence and I think I'm hearing splashing but i'm not if you know what I mean because I KNOW I can't hear without the cochlear implant on! Im in complete world of silence! Also, when I have my cochlear implant off my ear to go in bath or when I just want to spend some time without it on, my parents have told me that I tend to get my words jumbled up or not saying them right and that my voice goes quiet because I can't hear my voice and know what I am saying. It always go back to normal when I put the cochlear implant back on! I always found that strange! hehe
I'm really looking forward to Christmas coming! The shopping has already started! I love christmas! The songs, the get togethers with family & freiends, presents, the dressing up, christmas Tv and food!!
Christmas is gonna be good!! :D

3 comments:

Lissa said...

hey this may sound weird but when im at swimming baths or a water park i think i can hear music, i dont know if there is actually music playing. if there is i prob can feel the vibrations.

iv not started my xmas shopping yet eeeeek!!!!

Jarom R. Matheson said...

I have experienced that in various settings. Sometime, I thought I heard my name being called so I would say "what?"

Katie-Louise's blog said...

yeah, i get that lot, especially at swimming. ~I always seem to think i can hear my hearing friends if they come with me.

Then again, I can lip-read better without my implant, that's what i have notices. for some reason, i don't know why, how wired is that!