Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


29 November 2008

Christmas is on the way....!

I’m really looking forward to Christmas as December creeps in! I have been listening to Christmas songs for the last 2 weeks or so much to the despair of my parents! Christmas comes earlier each year! Haha!
I am still to buy myself an advent calendar as I have had one every year! On the 1st of December we will be putting up our large fibre optic tree & switch on the lights on our tree in the front garden! My parents put the sparkly blue lights on the tree in preparation and to test them out! I will post pictures of them soon!
We decorate the whole of the living room with little ornaments of Christmas such as little Santa’s and light up snowmen and also some bouncing Santa’s that you hang up and then when you hit them they go “MERRY CHRISTMAS!” ! Our house is going to look sooooo festive!! I’m already feeling VERY festive as there’s Christmassy commercials, lights, Xmas shopping in town!

My list for Christmas!
  • opening my advernt calender
  • Get a sexy haircut
  • Go the junior school's christmas fayre
  • Send christmas cards
  • Putting the fibre optic tree up in the living room
  • switching on the christmas lights on the tree outside
  • decorate the living room with tinsel!
  • Load Christmassy pictures from my camera!
  • Go shopping for christmas outfits to wear on Christmas Eve & Day
  • Wrap presents
  • Go to my nana's house in Middlesbrough to see the rest of the family & exchange presents
  • Listen to even more christmas songs (including playing Wham - Last Christmas a thousand times!!)
  • See mates for christmas Eve as we get together as group and catch up!
  • Celebrate christmas Day with parents and brother, open presents and go to the pub
  • Watch Christmas TV specials including Dr who!

Ah What a good & busy time Christmas is! I hope everyone else has a good and Happy Christmas planned! xx

4 comments:

David said...

Wham?
cool....lol

Lissa said...

Ace blog Laura!!

Debbie/Steve said...

Hi Laura:

First, thanks for stopping by our blog and post a comment. Your blog is very imformative to read. Hearing with our CI is like Christmas every day.

Shari said...

That's quite a list you have there for Christmas. Hope you get all of them checked off. :)

I should be listening to Christmas music all day long and drive my hubby nuts. :)