Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


25 November 2008

Owwwww...

I just had me another fall tonight owwww! God i hate it when that happens! It's usually because I'm so bloody clumsy and trip over my own feet! I dont pick my legs up enough when I'm walking so usually if there's a bump or anything in the pavement, I'll certainly trip over it!
:O(

When I have some kind of fall, it always seem to go in slow motion... weeeeeeeeee bump to the ground! Landed on my bottom and sorta pulled my arm so they will be sore tomorrow!!
I'm definitely staying in to bed tomorrow so I dont have to spend the day with a pain in my bum!

At least it's not the worse fall! The worst fall I had was after the month in hospital (see blog post
Myasthenia gravis) and after I had Christmas to recover from that month in hospital, me and my family went to holiday destination Blackpool that summer in 2004 but because I wasn't fully back to normal health, the walking everywhere for a week took it's toll on me and at the end of the holldiay when we were just walking to the car to go back home, I finally collapsed!

My legs just totally went but it wasn't just me that was hurt with the massive bruises on my knees because I hit concrete floor! You see, when I'm with my mum, we always link arms (putting my arms throught my mum's arms)when we are walking together, and when I fell that time, I was still holding her arm so she took the whole weight of me and ended up with a bruise on her arm too from where I had grabbed hold of her to stop me falling forward. I knew it was heavy fall because I end up making a hole in the jeans I was wearing at the time! I was just so fustrated at the time at falling that I cried in the car when we were travelling back home because I wasn't used to being so weak, i always used to be socialble & loved doing stuff so it crushed my confidence a lot. I've learnt to cope with falls better now if I ever have one, it doesnt happen so much now because i know how much walking I can tolerate and I will alsways tell my mum or who ever I am with, that I am getting tired because it's only when my legs get tired, I'm more likely to have a fall!

No comments: