Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


28 April 2012

mito info day in newcastle,,,

we went to the ct scanner first appointment to scan my brain then we got results later when we saw prof turnbull. we then went to have the EEG which checked my brain activity witch was normal, i found it very surreal having all these wires stuck to my head! its not something i had done before. We then went to see prof turnbull we discussed how i was getting on with my medication, diet and exercise. i told him i excicise once every weds with my carer. he was happy with my overall being. the reason i had the ct scan was cause i was having short term memory loss he told me my brain had shrunk little but he said this was normal in mito patients. hr also told me i had no tumours or growths so that was good newsi did a memory test with a nurse just to test my short term memory loss. all was good though. over all prof turnbull was happy to see me next year.  once we were home we went to see the specticals place to have an eye test and get some new glasses ooz of the double vision and the fact i cant read the tv far away. we pick them up in a weeks time!   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Congrats

Rachel