Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


12 March 2012

Lower Vicion...

I had an appointment to see a doc about my lower vision, same doc who did my cyst op. I saw a nurse who showed me some vision gadgets to help me read small print in papers, magazines etc  she said take them away and try them out, if i like them i can keep them if not give them back. I got 3 different type of magnifers plus one that one that hangs round your neck so I can do my cross stitching as i havent been cross stitching lately because I cant see the stitch  pattern very well as most kits I get have small letters so its hard to read them.
We then saw the doc who did my cyst operation and took a look at it and said we will leave it to Newcastle to look at it because thats where i had the brow suspsnion and she was worried about when she removed the cyst it was rather close to the stitches under the skin so she wouldnt dare go anymore and she said she will see me again in 6 months time to review it. Then we waited about an hour for an ambulance taxi to take us home.  My dads away with work tonight and brother has gone back to uni so me and mum are having a nice cosy night in.

No comments: