Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


17 March 2012

Cochlear implants what to do and what not to do...

These are the what to do and what not to do with cochlear implants my tips of which i have learn over the 17 years

The to dos
  • do keep you ear clean and healthy if you get an ear infection alert your doctor and the ci centre
  • Do wear it at all times besides sleep and bathtime as thats the only way to get the most of your cochlear implant
  • do look after your cochlear processor i put mine in a dry n store overnight or when im not using it
  • do have fun with your cochlear implant you can decorate it with skin its
  • do let people know you have a cochlear implant so that they know to talk to you face to face (there is no shame in asking for help)
  • do let the cochear implant know if you are having problems with your map dont suffer in silence  they can change the map for one that you are comfortable with
  • do be careful with the cochlear implant area if you are going on a rollercoaster or swimming take ti off (unless you have the neptune AB implant then you can swim with that!)
  • do have fun a cochlear implant wont stop you from having a normal fun lifestyle as anyone else can
  • do take it off for MRIs and contact sports
  • do carry spare battierites in case you are caught out and the batteries run out (i have reachargables for the day but if im goiing out for the wekendd i use dispoables and take them in my bag just in case)
  • Do keep your cochlaer implant ID card on you at all times to show anyone ( for example i went in a shop and the metal detectors went off i had to show them the id card and that i had not stolen anything!!)
The what not to dos
  • dont bang your head or the cochlear implant area if you are worried tell your implant centre
  • dont suffer in silence if you have a problem with your cochlear implant tell someone
  • do not have a MRI scan as this can harm the implant in your ear Xrays and CT scans are ok i take mine off for them
  • Airports - i take my processor off and get frisked instead of goiing through the detector i show my cochlear implant card and take my cochlear off for take off and landing, (i take my cochlear implant processor off for the duration of the flight that just my prefeence you dont have to do that)
  • Do not go near high power cables
  • Do NOT use any elecrical applicants such as TENS machine if in doubt call your cochlear implant centre
if you follow these rules there no reason why you cant have a normal life with a cochlear implant! HAVE FUN!! :)

4 comments:

Ash & Amit Marathe said...

Very important tips !

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

yep! need to know basics of a ci oldie lol

Stephen Young said...

Why do you take your ci off for flights?

In the DOs, you mention MRI, did you mean CT scan?

I wonder if I need the CI card if I can just point to the CI on my head.

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

stephen MRI scans are strictly forbidden when u have a cochlear implant as its a huge magnet and could suck ur magnet out of ur head babsically! lol i take my cochlear implant off for flights as its my perfernce. The ci centre tells you to swtich off on take off and landing and u can turn it on between the flight. but i pefer to take it off for the duration of the flight doesnt mean you have to do it . you can have a x ray or ct scan jsut not mri scan
hope this helps