Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


29 January 2010

Get that sunshine out of my face...

Get this scene
I'm all set to walk wrapped up warm in the freezing cold to the bus stop, with my mum for my volunteering at the school and then out peeks the sun but it's enough to blind me from seeing whatever is in front of me when my head is upright. so I grab my mum's arm to guide me along the pavement while I'm following it with my head down. If i look up, its too much light going in my eyes that it makes me have shut my eyes or put my head down so i'm looking at the floor.

Spring and summer can be hard with bright sun BUT I make sure I walk on a shady side, probably why I'm so white with no tan ha!

Sun can make me disorientated and make me veer to the sides as I follow the floor with my head down. Today i almost veered into the road, i didn't have anyone or anything to hold on to, to guide me down the hill. I have to use all my concentration just to walk down a hill but it was freezing cold and I was finding it a bit hard. I got home safe though!

Sunglasses can be hard for me to wear as they are lopsided when I put them on due to my cochlear implant surgeries and plus it can get a bit sore on my cochlear ear with the bone going in. I opt for a hat instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.