Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


2 February 2010

Surgery and Society...

I have been watching 2 documentaries over the last two nights about society and surgery. There were people who got surgery just to fit in with society such as people getting bigger breasts or having a nose job etc

I agree with any surgery that is going to help the person whether it is medical or help give the person the confidence to walk out of their house.

What I don't agree with is people having surgery such as bigger breasts to make themselves more popular or famous or having surgery when there's absolutely nothing wrong with their bodies!

I had my cochlear implant because it helped me to hear, it has taken time to get to where i am hearing wise, i've had a muscle biopsy to help docs determine what my medial condition was and I may in the future have to have my eyelids done to stop them before they droop further or close up all together, but I am doing this for my own good health and to stop my double vision rather than to show off to people how good looking I am.

What ever happened to natural beauty?

No comments: