Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


25 May 2012

scar

i have been cleaning out my room and all the rubbish i dont need any more and i came across  my pictures of when i got my 1st cochlear implant here is me showing off my scar after getting my bandage removed! it looks huge  but it was worth all the soreness for 17 years of hearing my family n friends n music! the picture below is me showing off the cochlear implant mascots that they give to the kids after the operation this was  in 94 they have got bigger since then i assume they are a kangaroo and koala bear because they got the idea of the cochlear implant from the australians who did it first! i was in for a week n i had my op on the 24th febuary 1994 i had the 2nd one after i lost my 1st one to a bad ear infection and i didnt take any pictures of that one i assume coz i was a teen ager n i didnt want my pic taken n it happened so fast etc!

No comments: