Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


20 February 2010

Whoosh...

I noticed tonight, a sound that has been part of everyday life. You know when you brush your hair on the cochlear implanted side, it whooshes? thats the only way I can describe it, even when running your hands through your hair, its just whoosh, maybe a bit of a crackle if the hair is dry. I've had that sound for over 15 yrs! *i have had implant for 16 but it took me time to get used to sounds give or take a year" Sounds like that have become familiar with me. Every day things such as the telephone or my family talking in the back ground. Mind you, i hate dads snoring! I'm lucky i can switch off and have a silent sleep and not be woken. Although, not being able to wake by sound has its bad points but the sounds of a CI outdo any of the disadvantages of being deaf!

Also, Newcastle is creeping up soon in March and get the eye situation out the way! Ask my Qs that i have written down all ready for it. If i go through with it, and I'll probably say yes this time round because my eyes are bothering me now look wise and vision wise. I just hope i wont have to wait long to have it done or i will be freaking myself out with worry as i always do before an op! But we shall see! (see what i did there! hehe)

No comments: