Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


21 October 2009

The Newcastle PEG part one...

It's been a looooooooong 2 days!
We traveled to Newcastle yesterday and stayed over night at a travel lodge hotel. Not that the bed was comfy, it was solid that I couldn't sleep! They did have the internet so I could chat to Gwyn and check facebook thought! I can't seem to go without checking Facebook every 10 mins! Even on my phone much to the dismay of my mum.
Because the bed at travel lodge was solid I got no sleep apart from waking up and twisting and turning and trying to get comfortable but it was no good. I was a complete zombie today which could be a good thing when you are walking endless around the long corridors of Newcastle Victoria Hospital! Has any one ever been there?? the place is a maze especially now there's new parts of the hospital has been built.

Part one of the day

We walked the endless corridors of the hospital to find the ward where we would be meeting a PEG doctor and the nurse we have been talking to over the phone. (mind you I liked her til she yanked out my PEG, more on that later...)
Most of the day was waiting and waiting, but when we got in, the PEG doc and nurse talked to me and m parents about the different kind of PEGs there were and the advantages/disadvantages of them etc, I got a bit upset talking about it because who wants a PEG at 24? I just didn't want it at all! But not having one wasn't an option because of my swallowing when I'm weak, it can be a lifesaver and keep my weight on. So my parents decided on the PEG for me, the PEG we chose is eaiser to manage at home because we are 3 hrs away from Newcastle, we needed the easiest to manage at home with the district and abbot nurse. We couldn't get a PEG where we have to go all the way up to newcastle if there's a problem as the hospital in Huddersfield don't do button PEGs, just the tube ones!
We then went for something to eat where I had to be nil by mouth which I had been most of the day anyway because the nurse told me to have a light breakfast which i did at 9am. By 1pm, I was starving and watching parents have their food and a nice cuppa tea was killing me!!
They were so meannnnnnnn!

continues in part 2...

No comments: