Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


24 September 2009

It's all happening...

It is! woohoo
The PEG nurse in Newcastle has been brilliant compared to the bradford one. She's helped us with everything!we needed to know about PEGS! She has sent us the appointment date for us to go up to Newcastle. Im quiet nervous now because it's been a miracle getting it all sorted etc
just gotta hope it all goes well with the next button peg turns out to be better than the tube I have at the moment. It will be more easy on the eye and the tube won't get in the way again which I am pleased about.
hopefully the appointment will be ASAP and I don't have to worry about it as much.
The only fustrating thing is I cant bloody find a thing about the microvasive button that im going to have anywhere on the net! It would be nice to know what to expect!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hi Laura! Im not sure where you found my blog, if it was off a message board or what... but I just checked out your story and I have to say that I think its awesome that you have a cochlear implant! I myself only have a 50db loss in my left ear, and do wear a hearing aid, however I think its wonderful that you have implants! My father in law owns a hearing aid company, and if you ever have any questions or anything please ask away! My husband is CTO of the company and is extremly knowledgeable in hearing loss. How cool is it that we came across eachothers paths?!?! Looking forward to talking with you!

Chels

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

i dont think ive been on your blog either for some reason lol

yes i have a cochlear implant just the one though. hearing aids done work on me.as im profoundly deaf.