Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


22 August 2009

Recuperating...

I've spent most of the time in my chair, feeling completely tired even though last night was the first night i'd actually slept the whole night through and i feel i am moving more better now. I have also had my first bath since I went in to hospital and left which was 5 days ago... boy was it bliss! :D I had washes in hospital but sorta with baby wipes and stuff like that with the help of nurses. Not the best cleaning routine...

My PEG is looking quite gross at mo... :( I'm hoping it will get better in the next few weeks or so. Not what you want after your birthday eh... but I am recuperating and drinking better now my swallowing is better. I'm still a little scared to try food yet and am settling for easy things like ice cream or jelly or custards/yogurts etc...

I am hungry but am still getting the feed over night. From now on, I can only get stronger again! Best reason to relax and get pampered with hehe! :)

No comments: