Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story

21 August 2009

Another ride in an Ambulance part 1...

After the boyfriend went back down to Bournemouth, I was still having trouble swallowing and coughing up all the time and the PEG still with infection and because I was having trouble moving about so mum thought it best to call the G.P, he said he would send me to A+E via an ambulance. I just wanted to feel better. The Ambulance came quicker than the last time! We only had time to stuff a few things in a bag for me in case the docs wanted me to stay longer. I spent 4 hrs in A+E waiting to be seen and when I finally got seen, the doc checked me out, took details etc and told me they wanted to put a canula in my vein to get some fluids in me and maybe some antibiotics if I needed some. Now when I heard that word canula, I got in a bit of a panic but to be honest I was just so tired because every move I made just exhausted me, even lifting up my neck! I had to feel sorry for my poor mum coz she hates needles and she had to hold me hand through it, bless her. They took some blood from me once it was in and sent them off for tests.

Meanwhile, after 4 hrs in A+E, they sent me up to a ward which happened to have my poorly grandma on. I was moved to a room on my own so that I couldn't catch anymore infections.
As I settled in my hospital for the night, I was upset and feeling a bit sorry for myself because I was so tired and I'd not eaten since my birthday really. I didn't want my mum to go home but visiting hrs were over now so she got me some magazines and there was a TV in the room (although only bbc and itv had subtitles...) When I settled down for the night, I also had my mobile although it ran out of charge during the night and I couldn't text anyone which was kinda sucky... (especially when I couldn't sleep because I could not get comfortable. I wasn't comfortable with the fact that I couldn't move when I'm laid down flat and I can't get up because of my weak neck. I was upset with the night nurses too because she didn't really help me in the way I needed to be helped and walked straight out the room when I needed her. :S I just didn't sleep all night and wished I had my mum.
I told the head nurse in the morning about it and she had a word with the nurses in question and things were better from then on...
(continued in part 2)
Post a Comment