Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


23 March 2009

Spring is here...!

I'm glad that Spring is finally here! I am enjoying all the flowers that have been popping up around town :) I shall be planting sunflowers soon! I love planting giant sunflowers to see how tall they will get! Yippee!

I have been enjoying the volunteering a lot these days, I feel very useful and i find some of the things the kids come out with funny! it has been a while that I've felt like this because anything i did before wasn't enough to keep my mind occupied and happy that i'm busy!

I find it nice that I can see the little group of people that i see at the school and i really enjoy helping the kids and I find that i use my instinct to do the things and no longer have to rely on the teacher I am helping to tell me what to do, although I do ask if they would like me to help them with anything, otherwise it's just me doing my own thing in the lesson and going round the kids seeing if they are ok with their work.


I'm still happy thanks to a certain someone and forever having a grin on my face at the moment! :)


I am not at volunteering on Wedsnesday since I am to go to Newcastle for hospital. I'm not exactly looking forward to it, since I have to see an eye doctor! I have seen eye docs before but they were always for glasses etc.. I am worried because I'm afraid that they may want to do something ie some kind of op... I'm hoping it will be maybe a bit of advice or a change of glasses? I tend to over think these things about hospital which cant be good because I lose a lot of sleep! I'll probably be having the usual tests such as blood tests! (argh!) I'll be pleased to see my nana again though since I havent seen her since christmas! I really wish I could see her more so i could be closer although we still have a laugh over the phone because she goes on about the maddest things! :) she worries about my health a lot bless her! :)

No comments: