Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


15 October 2008

More pictures of the 1st cochlear implant journey...

These are pictures from my 1st Cochlear Implant when I was 9 years old in 1994


On the left is where I had my "special" cream & was just about to go for my operation. Below is me just back from the operation and sleeping it off...











Showing off my get well presents after waking up!















Below: Me with fellow cochlear implantee Laura! (yes 2 Lauras!!) She had her cochlear implant operation the day after mine and we made friends!














1 comment:

Katie-Louise's blog said...

great picture, sounds like you'd fun with the toys you were given.

Who's the girl on your bed with you?

k