Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


2 September 2008

Possible Deaf Networking...

Last night, I wrote a letter to the YCIS asking if it was possible to make a new pen-pal who has a cochlear implant in the Yorkshire area (UK). Tonight, I got an email from my CI surgeon to write an article in the “Hearsay” newsletter which the YCIS write. Although it’s worth a try, I thought it would be better to create a little webpage or a social network where people can go on and write a bit about themselves, therefore email someone else who has a CI in Yorkshire and maybe make a friend for life! . I put this idea to him and he told me to go for it! Now I just have to shoot out some ideas for name for this website! The whole idea is to make new friends with cochlear implants in the Yorkshire area, and since I’m only 23, I would find it ideal for more people in their 20’s to come forward but Yorkshire people of any age would be welcome! I’m not totally sure how I will produce this site yet, and I’m going to shoot some ideas around first! I’m going to speak to some current CI friends I know to see what they want from it and see if they would use it so I know if it’s worth making first!! I find it would be interesting to meet both male and females in Yorkshire with CI’s and get to know them via the site. I’ve always liked to write to new people whether they are deaf or not and find out all the things about them! I have problems meeting new people, deaf or otherwise, I also always hear how some CI users have trouble communicating in group situations as I do. The internet is a brilliant way to communicate with deaf or hearing people with the likes of MSN or Yahoo messenger. So that concludes my idea for now and I hope I can achieve it, I will certainly have a go as it will give me something to focus on! E-mail is always good because some people can be busy and an email is always there waiting for you when you log on!

If anyone who reads this thinks it’s a good idea and has any ideas towards this, please let me know as I could do with all the help I can get if I decide to make it! I will probably be up all night thinking of names now…. At best, I’ve got E-Ci…. Any good? Who knows, it may become a meet/greet place for people with CI’s!!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Hi Laura, I have replied to your comment on my blog.
Regarding to Deaf networking, We have just started in the south but the MAJORITY of implantees are kids/teens and older generation, I am 30 and i know 2 others (24/25) who is already are friends of mine pre CI, One of my friend and i are planning to set up networking for early adulthood with CI, so we have something in common that is not too young or too old. I think it's brilliant idea for you to get some sort of networking.

I am listening to your music!!! LOl.

Charlotte x