Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


24 September 2008

Happy days...

I have had the best day, what with volunteering at the school, which may only be a short bus ride away from where i live but even though its baby steps, it’s making me more confident and independent for the first time since I found out I had my mitochondrial condition in 2004. I’ve been helping out in the classes again and gaining social interaction with both adults and children. I am really looking forward to the Arts & crafts week that we have coming up which will be lots of fun!

I also have my first part of my story on The Deaf Blog, and feeling ultra confident and super happy with my life at the moment as it is now. I have my brilliant family&friends.
I can’t help wonder if there’s a storm brewing though what with my OCD because it’s kind of unpredictable! I don’t know when my cognitive behavioral therapy begins as there’s a waiting list but I’m NOT looking forward to it!

My confidence can be good most of the time till it comes to the OCD which when something happens, it kind of ruins the good stuff that happened that day! So I’m really going to try and beat this OCD although I know it will be distressing and upsetting!

I hope I can maybe have a holiday next year too since I haven’t been on a real holiday with my family since I got my PEG in may 2007 because of the amount of stuff we have to bring with us like the pump and the feed etc. I have only had weekend getaways which I still love like trips to Blackpool but theres nothing like going abroad! Hopefully I will be getting closer to the point of getting my PEG out for good soon but thats down to the docs!!!

Oh and I also changed the blog around a bit so it looks a bit better now. I will hopefully also get a better picture for the blog!!

3 comments:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Super duper, Laura! Glad you had the best day! Doing for others always makes me feel productive and regenerated!

Jennifer :-)

Abbie said...

I just read your blog over at DeafBlog :) I wanted to extend congrats on you debut dear :)

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

Thank youuu