Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


26 September 2008

I think I'll take a walk...

Today, on a fine sunny autumn day, I went in the garden to feel the warm sun on my face and after sitting on the swing chair for a bit, I decided on the spot that I would go for a walk! (Believe me, it doesn’t happen often!!!)) There’s a cemetery across the road from us and it’s got a steep path upwards so when you get to the top, there’s a great view and it’s really peaceful. There was hardly a cloud in the sky and I decided to take a picture of the view and of Castle Hill which is a famous landmark in the town I live in.











Good exercise going up the steep hill too for me as it works my legs! I took a seat for a bit and took in the view for a few minutes before going back home. It may sound weird that I like walking around a cemetery but I’ve lived opposite it since I was 2 and I think nothing of it, I think it looks all pretty sometimes with all the flowers and the trinkets they have hanging on the trees. I grew up with my parents telling me the dead can’t hurt you, just the living but I would never walk up there at night!!!
Death is never a happy subject but a cemetery is a place where you can reflect on memories, a peaceful place. I also found lots of conkers on the way to the cemetery too!!




2 comments:

Julie Kibler said...

It does look very pretty and peaceful!

What's a conker?

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

A conker is a sort of nut that comes from the Horse Chestnut tree!
you can play games with them when they come out in autumn! When i see a conker i know its autumn!

heres a link that tells you about the game http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html