Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


15 July 2009

Yet another blow to the PEG...

The last 2 weeks or so, my PEG has been playing up again with yet another infection :(
It seemed to start up before I went on holiday which it was a bit sore but not as bad as previous infections and luckily I had my cream with me to soothe it.
its still not clearing up on it's own though so its back to the antibiotics... belugh which I'm not a fan of taking medicene ( unless it tastes nice like Calpol which i use to get rid of any pain in the peg area) I cannot swallow pills (I dont know why, i feel the need to chew them...) so if i have to have any pills, they have to be turned into medicenes.
I've had a long day what with having no sleep last night and having my volunteering at the school today but today was my last day for summer til September! Woop! Can relax and allow my PEG to heal! with the help of magical antibiotics... hehe sleep zzzz

1 comment:

Elaine CI journey said...

When I had my 2nd caesarean birth I vowed never ever use antibiotics unless I really had to (e.g. cochlear implant infection) so I use tea tree oil - dab it on with cotton wool and it does the trick in repairing the job - amazing stuff tea tree oil - you can get it from Boots for example!