Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


22 June 2009

Scare...

Do you know on a morning when you first switch on? If it sounds any slightly different do you panic?? I do! I have done this quite a few times when I scare myself! haha I switch on and the volume is switched down what with me fiddling with it putting it in it's dry box the previous night... then I scare mysefl because I think something is wrong with my processor or mapping! then I take a few mins and reaslise that it's just turned down! Phew! haha I guess I get a fright because of what happened to the other one.

On another note I had a good day at the school where I volunteer. It was nice just sitting on the grass hearing all the kids cheering on their teammates in a race!

2 comments:

Lissa said...

I always have my Ci on full as theres no volume control so when i first turn it on in the morning im like woah!!

Joanna said...

I never take mine off. If it fall off in the night I put it back on asleep (my mum watched me do this).