Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


26 June 2009

Whisper shh...

After having my cochlear implant for 15 years, I have learnt to know when my sound has changed in the slighest ways, so when I woke up yesterday and found when I put it on, it sounded funny in a sort of fuzzy way. TV or Radio or sounds such as the kettle or every day things sounded fine but voices sounded sorta echoey... I had a mini freak out because I'm going to Bournemouth next week and I wanted my implant to be just right. I was like "why now??" I changed my batteries to see if it made a difference but it didnt, so I waiting til my mum came home and she tested things out with me such as her voice.
It was not clear as it should be, kinda echeoy, fuzzy voice like she was talking through a walkie talkie. I changed the coil but that was no different. I gave it to mum and she started flicking switches!!! I was like "what the hell are you doing??" because I'm kinda protective of my cochlear implant! But then she said "try that..."
and it sounded fine again... I was'nt sure what she did then she said "I put it on the M switch at the bottom of the 3G esprit processor" but I could have sworn I never touched them because I have never really used the W or T switch so by now it had been so long since I tested them out that I had forgotten what they meant! Mum checked the websites to see what they meant and apparently, I must have accidently flipped it to the Whisper switch! When it should be on M.
Suddently I felt so relieved! if not a bit silly for having a freak out! hehe
I would like to take a moment to mention Micheal Jackson who's music I grew up with, with the cochlaer implant from the age of 9. I remember I used to be scared of the Thriller video and hide behind my dad! My favourite song was Smooth Criminal but I guess all Micheal songs were legendary! He may have been troubled later on in life but his music was brilliant. RIP

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know that panicky feeling. I'm glad you got that figured out. Thank God for cool headed mothers.