Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


11 December 2009

Shake, Shake...

Last night I was watching a documentary on bbc3 about a man who had been paralyzed from the neck down. At one point of the documentary, these nurses had to shake him on the bed laid down to get any fluid off his lungs. I had totally forgotten about when I had that done too when I was in ICU in 2007 and I had pneumonia. Even with a drain in my lungs to get any fluid out my lungs, I had to do this shake too. The nurses put your hands on top of your chest and shake up and down once or twice. I hated having it done because they had to push very hard on my chest and it wasn't very nice at the time but eventually it did the trick and got the fluid off my lungs. Like i say I had totally forgotten about that part... Some parts are quite clear in my mind and other times I see something that reminds me about that time. I am very grateful for it though for the docs and nurses at the ICU unit at Bradford Royal Infirmary.

No comments: