Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


6 December 2009

Ringing...

Every now and again, I get ringing in my ears, even with the CI on. It's usually set off by lots of different noises going on! Such as a loud TV and my parents trying to talk over it. Or a disco and lots of people talking at once. When I get this ringing I don't when it will stop , things can make it louder such as running water out of a tap or if i switch my cochlear implant off. Which I find strange.. you switch the CI off, it gets a bit louder but when you switch it back on, its still there but quieter. It can go on for a long time or a short time.
Last night It was set off by the TV having to be turned up because my dads going deaf... old age.. hehe I tell him to use the subs but he doesn't he can be there going TURN IT UP! TURN IT UP! And I'm there going "It's loud enough!" How ironic! :P
Anyway, the ringing went on til 3am after the loud TV and parents talking over it. I eventually got to sleep, but I still have it at the moment, hopefully it will it fade out soon.

No comments: