Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


27 April 2009

Good News...

I went on my usual 6 month trip to Bradford to see the cochlear implant doc. After all the sun we have been having, the day I was going out, it decided to rain! Just my luck!
The waiting time was as usual, long and slow! I finally got in to my appointment and he checked my bad right ear and declared it healthy! At last! Although, it can get sore at times because I mostly sleep on that ear. He then checked my cochlear implanted ear and he said all was fine!
Because my right ear is declared healthy, I no longer have to see my cochlear implant doc unless I need to. I was sooooo pleased because I have been going for so long to him with him checking my bad ear! 9 years in fact! cleaning it out and checking it out. Now I no longer have to do any of that! My ear is healthy! It will take some time to sink in but I hope i grasp it!
:0) All i need to do now is go to the cochlear implant centre if i am required to! woohoo! :0)
I'm very tired now after that day but its one less thing to worry about!

6 comments:

Benjamin. said...

That is good news by the way your blog is so good and an inspiration to Deaf people like myself :)

Lissa said...

That's great Laura!! Another thing off your mind!!


x

Laura ~Peach~ said...

excellent news!!!!!! Wahooooo~~:)

Charlotte said...

Congrats, did you ask for upgrade to Freedom?? x

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

No charlette i didnt because it was just to see the ci doc to see my bad ear not going to the centre etc :) like they have said they will be in touch when its time to lol coz my ci doc gona contact a lady at the ci centre and she will get in touch with me!

zeitgeist said...

I just found your blog... You are a true inspiration to all. I was depressed for a long long time and I was searching on the internet on suicide methods. Then I came across your blog. You makes me think about my life in a different angle. I am going to follow your blog as long as I can. I myself, is a very unlucky person. BUT YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION! I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!