Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


18 April 2009

More serious thinking...

I was so against the idea of an eyelid lift at first that I told the doctor I didn't want to hear anything else about it! But now I've looked back at previous pictures of me when I'm out and about, I've either deleted some or got annoyed because it would have been a lovely picture apart from my eyes... It never used to be an issue before so I don't know why it is now. I think it's because the older I get, the worse my eyes are gonna get and get ever lower over my eyes.. :0S so I'm beginning to seriously consider the procedure. It sounds quite daunting an eyelid lift... as to why I dismissed the idea straight away but doing some research on the internet where it's just a local anesthetic and a stitch to lift it up... but I need to find out more from the doc!

I remember that I was against the idea of a PEG too and I got that done, even though I had the trouble of not being able to swallow my food after the operation and the banana I ate went down the wrong hole and into my lungs so at least that my docs know from past that I'm not to eat after the operation until I'm strong enough and the docs will put the food through my PEG should I decide to have the eyelid lift procedure.

I think the sooner I get the procedure, the better chance my eyes will be able to adapt and maybe my double vision would get better. My doc says it has a good success rate with patients so I'll let you know what happens. I think I'll write me down some Qs to ask the doc and email him.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Yeah, good idea, get info and all the questions answered from yr doctor, you wont be committing yourself to the decision so youll be able to decide after getting all the information

Laura ~Peach~ said...

cant recall if I told you or not but my mom had the eyelid lift procedure and has been very happy with it... I say go for it and lets see those pretty eyes :)

Deafinitely Girly said...

Hi Laura,
I agree with Melissa, too – perhaps once all your questions are answered your decision will be easier to make. I'm off to find the Russian hiccup rhyme now!
DG
x