Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


22 September 2010

Replacement ci...

When i went to the ci centre a month ago, they said they were going to send me a replacement of my cochlear implant processer the 3g esprit. I wasn't too keen on this but I had my old one for 10 yrs and i really need to change it! Im never good with change espeically in my hearing! Ive even had the same map on for the last 10 years, maybe less!
Ive got on great with the map i have at the moment SO if it aint broke dont fix it!  The only things ive had to change in the last 10 years are my coil and batteries which isnt bad really! They didnt have any silver ones when I went to the ci centre so they said they would send it in the post when they get some in!
So it came last Thursday! and i hated it! lol The first couple of days with it were LOUD and echey although i could still hear everything well. i went down to volume 2 at one point  and started experiementing with the switches on the bottom but no avail then yesterday i changed something at the bottom of my new 3g processor and its sort of clicked to how it was! I dont know if its due to something i've done on my processor or my brain has just simply got used to it already! The only problem i have with the new processor now is that the hook wire keeps clicking out at the top probably because its a new processor but im hoping it will stay in on its own at some point!  Im gona keep the old processor for a couple more days then send it back to the ci centre in their special envelope!

2 comments:

leah said...

Wow- you adjusted pretty fast to the new processor! I hope this one lasts a long time, so you don't have to go through the adjustment process again!

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

yeah i was sruprised myself it had been funny for about 2 weeks and i did some fidding with it and it went back to how my old one sounded!! i dunno what i did but it did the trick!! hehe i hate getting my processor changed or getting new maps so im glad i got used to it quick! ive had it a long time. it can vary with eeryone depending on their hearing loss