Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story

21 November 2010

2nd op update...

Well, it's been over a week now since the 2nd op and its certainly been harder to get used to my eyes this time round. What with the left one had been very swollen and half closed half the time and my right one wide open! My left eyelid is just starting to open up a bit now but there is still swelling it so it will take a week or 2 to open up a bit more hopefully as im not keen on having another adjustment even if they are simpler than the original op but it just means another trip to Newcastle which is annoying! Ive sent a photo to my surgeon on Friday to let him know how it is getting on but he has not got back to me yet.The right one is feeling better than the left but now and again it feels strained which is a pain!
Every night so far it has been a bit hard to sleep as it feels weird to close my left eye. Sometimes when i closed it, as ive been trying to keep it open most of the day, when i keep it shut, it sort of opens back up again!! I think its just about managed to stop doing that now!
What im hating is the constant watering of my eyes each morning! Im sick of it! it really makes my eyes sore and i have to scrunch them for a bit it takes a bit of time to get them to stop watering. im hoping it will stop soon! im happy with how my right eye looks like now and it's looking promising for my left! (hope i havent iinxed it!) but it will take another 2 weeks or nore before it settles down all togerher!
Today i had one hell of a headache due to my tiredness as ive not been sleeping very well because the watering and the way ive had to be keeping my eyes open so ive been taking paracetamol for that but im trying not to over do it! i dont take it unless i need it!
Apart from all that looking forward to christmas! :D
Post a Comment