Welcome To My Blog...

This blog follows my journey of 2 different cochlear implants and my condition: Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions I have started this blog 15 yrs too late but ill try my best to fit it all in! I have packed a lot of medical jargon into my life since I was 8.

There has been happiness and tears but I've come through it all with my family and my friends.I'm profoundly deaf as a result of a condition called Multiple mitochondrial DNA deletions or mitochondrial disease RRM2B as my professor Sir Dough Turnbull calls it! I have had since birth but I didn't find out this til I was 19. I have had 2 cochlear implants (at the age of 8 and then i lost the 1st cochlear implant in my right ear after 7 years due to a bad, accruing ear infection (which I couldnt fight off because of my mitochondrial condition) at the age of 15 and had a 2nd one implanted in my left ear that same year which I have now.

My Story


21 April 2010

CI or not to CI, that is the question...

It is no secret that a Cochlear Implant is a whirlwind journey to go on. Some have said it's like learning to hear all over again. I am sometimes surprised by how people take to their CI.
For example, when I had my first CI done, there was a girl who had it done the day after me and whereas I took to the CI like a duck to water when I was switched on, the other girl struggled with it and didn't wear as much as I did. I found that surprising but everyones journey to hearing is different and I can understand that. I have met people who find it hard to get to get to grips with their new sounds because when they are switched on, sounds can be robotic/muffled/sound like you are underwater. It takes a lot of hard work and patience to get to grips and get used to the sounds if you are an adult who has been deaf for a certain time. I find that children often find it easier to get used to these new sounds and wearing it than adults. Sometimes, there can be a lot of pressure for them to be able to hear which is unfair because it such a big thing to go through and it cant be easy. My good friend Vivie has admitted to me she struggled with it at first and she felt pressure to perform with her hearing which i feel bad for her because I wish I could have been there for her when she was switched on and reassure her that she can wear it when ever she feels like it and that there's not real time span of when you start to get used to wearing it or hearing these sounds. The moral of the story? Everyone's journey is different. There will be people who take longer than others to get used to it. There is no real rush in learning to hear. Go at your own pace and don't feel you are letting people down because you aren't. Instead they will be proud you are at least TRYING. if you don't like the CI, thats ok too. It isn't for everyone. No one will hate you because you don't like it. If they do, thats THEIR problem!

No comments: